Trust me, after that blog title, you’ll just want to keep reading… no intro necessary!
1. Lets run with a Cinco de Mayo theme here this week! Do you like Mexican food? What’s your favorite dish? How about on the side-black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, rice? What about heat-mild, medium, hot? Will you celebrate with Mexican food and drink on May 5th aka Cinco de Mayo?
I’ll admit, I never thought about Mexican food one way or the other, until I no longer lived in California and realized that good Mexican food is really really really hard to find in other parts of the country! Now, I absolutely love it – my appreciation has grown immensely! My favorite dish is a good chimichanga (still the best, La Fonda’s in Flagstaff, Arizona. Who would’ve guessed…) On the side, refried beans please, mild on the spice, because I’m a wimp. Not sure if we will celebrate with Mexcian food on May 5, but we very well could, seeing as we now live two hours from the Mexican border and there is TONS of really good Mexican food around here! Yummm…
2. Ever been to Mexico? For work or holiday? Love it or no? If you haven’t been is this a place you’d like to visit? Can you speak Spanish?
Yep, our church goes down to Mexico for mission trips all the time – we have been to a school for deaf children called Rancho Sordo Mudo, we have done house builds in Tijuana, we have helped with a transient population at Campo de Esperanza. Truly incredible. Y si’ yo habla espanol un poquito… (And yes, I speak a little Spanish)
3. What’s one thing you may accomplish this month?
Finally, 13 months after we moved out, our court appearance is FINALLY happening with our former landlords. Please God… in one week we will hopefully be done with them forever, and God willing, will have our security deposit back, and maybe even some extra money… we found out on Sunday that they are counter-suing us, with charges that are ridiculous. (charges for rent lost while the house was being worked on, after we moved out, which they forced us to do? Um yeah, no.) Please pray that our court appearance next Monday goes well, and that I”m able to present our case matter-of-fact and without a lot of emotion. (Which, quite frankly, is hard for me…)
4. If you were mayor of your village, city, or town, what’s one thing you’d like to see changed, done away with, revamped, or accomplished? Is serving in public office something you’ve ever seriously considered?
If I were mayor, I would make a push for there to be services for homeless in the areas where the homeless actually are… and provide services that help them, like legal assistance, identification cards, connection with family, etc. I haven’t ever considered serving in public service, but I have thought about becoming a paralegal… maybe someday.
5. What’s something that may be popular, but that you just don’t get?
Vaping. I just don’t get it. Today, I was turning left, and a car facing me was turning right, and all of a sudden their entire car filled with a white smoke. I just don’t get it! And it’s SO bad for you… sigh.
6. Can’t let this week slip by without mentioning Thursday May 4th is Star Wars Day. As in ‘May the 4th be with you’ ahem. Are you a fan of the Star Wars series? Exactly how much of a fan are you? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being ‘I’ve seen every film, own the action figures, might have dressed as Darth Vader for Halloween one year‘, and 1 being, ‘what’s a Vader?‘ -where do you land?
Hmm, I guess I would be a 7. Funny, I remember being dragged to see Return of the Jedi with my dad and brother when my mom was on a church retreat one weekend when I was little, and I was bored to tears. Fast forward many years, with a house full of boys, and yeah, I enjoy the series. Loved the last one “Rogue One” as it connected so many loose ends that I didn’t realize were loose! And it’s really fun to share this with my kids.
7. Scroll back through your blog posts and in three sentences or less tell us the general theme of your fourth blog post. Does it still ring true today? Is it a topic you re-visit on your blog from time to time?
Wow… going back to my original blog (www.fivehenrys.blogspot.com) and looking back at my fourth post… it was about our sailboat. I called it the “Yo Ho Ho” because we had bought it from a squadron member for a Bottle of Rum! Not a lot of themes in my post… but fun to look back at the memories of owning that boat while we lived in Pensacola, Florida.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
SO for any working mamas out there, THIS is for you… seriously, the most truth filled commercial I have ever seen in my life. Preach it, sisters.