Last week I said I was going to be glad to see January go! What a month… a flood, a seriously ill grandma, a friend fighting for her life, a car with $1000 repair, a son having surgery… sheer craziness. But then, February came. Two days ago. And already is SO much better than January was all month long. We had a huge windstorm and lost a palm tree, but it didn’t hit the house or car. My friend is recovering from her stroke (more on that later). I was asked to teach our Confirmation parents class at the last minute, and it went really well. And you know what, God provides no matter what. It’s good. So without further ado, lets Hodgepodge, friends!
2. February is Canned Food Month. What’s your favorite food that comes straight from a can?
Beans. Because, Lord have mercy, soaking the dried ones is such is such a hassle! I think I did it once in my early years of marriage and promptly declared “There is a REASON why I was born in this generation, and I’m pretty sure it’s so that I don’t have to soak my beans (or handwash diapers)” Canned beans can be added to any soups, casseroles, etc. Easy peasey!
3. A principal in a UK school recently sent home a letter to parents requesting they (the parents!) dress appropriately when escorting their children to/from school (basically saying please don’t wear your pajamas) You can read the letter here. It’s gotten a lot of publicity, both positive and negative. Your thoughts? And do/did you ever make the school run (or hit Starbucks, Walmart, etc) in your pjs?
Oh good gravy. First off, my initial thought is “WOW, do these school administrators have a LOT of extra time on their hands if THIS is their biggest concern! And what in the world are they DOING RIGHT OVER THERE if THIS is their BIGGEST PROBLEM?” And WHY am I loving the ALL CAPS thing on this particular issue?
But then on the other hand, any time I don’t get dressed when I drive carpool, I feel like such a woman on the edge… SO comfy, and yet I do worry that I”ll get pulled over, or get a flat tire (because that actually happened once but luckily I was only half a mile away from home)and then secondly, I’m all, look, if I’m getting up and my kids are getting to school on time, it’s a miracle, so what if I’m in my pajamas? It’s before 8am, people! Give me a break!! (Now, I will say, there were parents at one school we attended that would come pick UP their children in pajama bottoms… at 3 pm… that seemed weird to me.)
On to the next question.
4. Crew neck, V-neck, turtleneck, scoop neck…which is most prevalent in your wardrobe?
V-neck! I love v-necks! So comfy, and they make me look good, if ya know what I mean! 😉
5. I read here recently a list of four things to avoid so you wake up happier. They were late night snacks, hitting the snooze button, social media just before bed/upon waking, checking emails.
Are you guilty of any of these behaviors? Which on that list do you need to work harder at avoiding?
I’m definitely guilty of checking social media before bed and upon waking – I really do need to avoid that.
6. Share something you remember about a house you lived in as a child? Of all the homes you lived in as a child, which did you love best?
I only lived in one house growing up, but the thing I remember most is the cool geometric windows we had in our upstairs – they were really unique, and even though we had some neighbors complain when we built the house, I thought they were cool! I also loved the sycamore trees and my playhouse in the backyard. Such a cool little spot to go play.
7.Your favorite movie based on a true story?
The Blind Side. No question about it…
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Thank you, friends, for all of your prayers. My friend Danielle is out of her coma, and will be moving soon to a rehabilitation facility where she can get the therapy she needs to recover from her stroke! To think that three weeks ago tonight we thought she wasn’t going to make it as they wheeled her back into surgery. God is NOT done with her life or her testimony! This past weekend I visited Danielle, along with my neighbor. Suffice it to say, so many miracles happening, so many breakthroughs and instances that can only be given to God in glory! Her husband has had a transformation as well – God is so good. Please continue to pray for them, for their provision both in their everyday life as they juggle their boys and hospital visits and such, but also financially… thanks friends.