1. In two or three sentences tell us what Veteran’s Day means to you?
Sacrifice and dedication to a cause greater than one’s self.
Changes the course of your heart and mind forever.
We don’t give enough credit to those who have served.
2. What’s your favorite film with a patriotic theme woven into the storyline?
hands down, the Band of Brothers series. I’ve never seen anything like it before or since. Absolutely wonderful. If you haven’t seen it, do so. Now.
3. Flu shot-yes or no? If you answered no, do you plan to get a flu shot? If not, why not? Have you ever had the flu?
Nope. I had it a few years ago when I was substitute teaching for a preschool and working retail during the holidays – thought I”d better not press my luck! But I don’t make a habit of getting it every year. I haven’t had the flu in several years.
4. I’ve seen lots of people posting pictures of their Christmas trees up and decorated. Many stores have had Christmas on display since well before Halloween. Red cups are back at Starbucks, sans the holiday decor, and that has some people up in arms. What are your thoughts on all the holiday ruckus this second week of November?
Quite honestly, I think it’s all nonsense, trying to keep our focus off the real reason why we celebrate Christmas. Good gravy people, get a grip! Enjoy the anticipation! Sing a Christmas carol! Watch a Christmas movie! Light a candle!
5. What ‘critter’ are you most afraid of encountering unexpectedly? Why that one?
Rats. *insert full body shudder* And I do NOT like them because when I was a little girl our family remodeled our house and was invaded by gutter rats that, apparently, liked all of the fresh wood. What. Ever. I’ll never forget the snapping of traps overhead and seeing them crawl up the curtains behind my brother, who was calmly eating his cereal. I mean, some things you just don’t forget! *again, insert full body shudder!*
My son should feel extremely grateful that I allow GUINEA PIGS in the house… because they are of the rodent family!
6. Do you like building things? What’s the last thing you ‘built’?
I do like the instant gratification of building something and seeing it come to fruition. The last thing I was in charge of “building” was our church directory – I know, a pretty small thing, but it was a huge undertaking when push came to shove! But it is done now, and I think it turned out pretty well!
7. In keeping with this month’s theme of gratitude…what are you most grateful for that brings beauty to your daily life?
this view… I see it every day as I drive to work. Sigh. Truly a blessing.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I want to wax rhapsodical about my upcoming girl’s weekend with my sis-in-law in Monterey. And buh-lieve-me, I am SO looking forward to my weekend of sleeping, chatting, wine, spa, hiking… oh my. What a gift this weekend will be!
But tonight I”m dwelling more on Veteran’s Day… on the Veterans in my life… my husband, my grandfather, my husband’s grandfather. Lives changed forever. For better or for worse. Amen.